IT Systems Engineer
Steel Root is a IT services company that specializes in cybersecurity for the U.S. Defense Industrial Base. We’re a startup in high demand, looking for a talented, organized Technical Account Manager to join our team. We’re passionate about contributing daily to our positive culture, with a commitment to professional development and social responsibility. Steel Root serves a national client base from its headquarters in Salem, MA.
The IT Systems Engineer is responsible for configuring, deploying, and administering IT systems, applications, and infrastructure. Although they may specialize and serve as a subject matter expert (SME) on one or more platform, they are skilled generalists who can build and support a broad range of IT services and solutions.
- Support IT project delivery by leading or contributing to the design, configuration, deployment, and integration of new and existing IT systems
- Develop and maintain subject matter expertise on one or more assigned platforms, systems, or deployment methods
- As a subject matter expert, lead the scoping, architectural design, configuration, and deployment of those systems, serve as the top escalation point for relevant support issues
- As a generalist, support our IT Services team as an escalation point for Tier 2/3 support issues
- Develop standard operating procedures, knowledge base articles, and customer-facing documentation
- Contribute to presales efforts including developing statements of work
You’re an IT systems administrator with experience building and supporting a broad range of IT systems, including servers and workstations, applications, and networking. You’re comfortable troubleshooting most aspects of IT in the modern workplace. You enjoy working with new systems and software and can quickly come up to speed on a new piece of technology and understand how it works and interacts with other aspects of IT infrastructure. Although you’re an IT generalist, you like to dig in and develop mastery of a system or platform. You’re a team player and co-workers respect you for your technical acumen and willingness to lend a hand.
- U.S. citizenship
- 6+ years of progressive experience supporting IT in a corporate environment, including 3+ years of experience administering IT systems
- Contemporary knowledge of cloud architecture and security best practices
- Strong general knowledge of IT systems, including servers, virtualization (Hyper-V), Windows domain services (Active Directory, Group Policy), Windows 10, endpoint management, and desktop support
- Solid grasp of networking fundamentals, network design, and troubleshooting (DNS, DHCP, wireless, routing, switching, firewalls, VPN)
- Experience configuring and managing Microsoft cloud services (Office 365, Azure AD, Intune)
- Strong understanding of security fundamentals (least privilege, RBAC, audit logging, endpoint security, change management)
- Basic knowledge of Linux systems (RHEL, CentOS)
- Proficiency with PowerShell, scripting, and automation techniques
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Excellent organization, communication, problem-solving, and active listening skills
- Experience managing multiple, simultaneous customer projects
- Knowledge and passion for cloud-first architecture, including experience building and deploying systems in Azure
- Familiarity with version control systems, DevOps tools and concepts, and infrastructure-as-code
- Exposure to compliance requirements for the U.S. Defense Industrial Base (i.e., CMMC, DFARS, NIST SP 800-171) or other industry compliance frameworks (ISO 27001, CIS Controls)
- Professional certifications such as Microsoft, Linux, networking, or related certifications
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in technology, engineering, or related field
- Competitive benefits package, including health, dental, 401(k), and cell phone stipend
- Team Human work culture
- Our customers make lasers and launch things into space
- Work with wicked smaht teammates and hone your skills in one of the hottest niches in the cybersecurity market
- Play with cool tech, work with customers that love us, and get in on the ground floor of a startup in growth mode
How To Apply
- Get to know us by reading about our services and the industries we serve, and follow us on social media (links in website footer, below).
- Then send your resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Every application is reviewed by a real human being.
Committed to Diversity
Steel Root is an Equal Opportunity Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender identity/expression, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, veteran status, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law.
This is a general description of the duties, responsibilities and qualifications required for this position. Physical, mental, sensory, or environmental demands may be referenced in an attempt to communicate the manner in which this position traditionally is performed. Whenever necessary to provide individuals with disabilities an equal employment opportunity, Steel Root will consider reasonable accommodations that might involve varying job requirements and/or changing the way this job is performed, provided that such accommodations do not pose an undue hardship.